David Szeker's practice involves all aspects of commercial real estate law, including the acquisition and disposition of commercial real estate, acting on behalf of borrowers in the financing of commercial properties, the negotiation and formation of joint ventures, and acting for landlords and tenants in the leasing of office and retail space. David also assists clients with the real estate aspects of corporate acquisitions and financings of privately held and publicly traded companies.
David is an active member of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee.
Acquisitions and Dispositions
- iStar in its acquisition, financing and ground leasing of the 350,000-square-foot Newport Office Center 6 in downtown Jersey City, New Jersey, from the LeFrak Organization.
- The Related Companies in the sale of various development properties, including the Viceroy hotel and a condominium project, in Snowmass Village, Colorado.
- Westbrook Partners in the sale of a 144,000-square-foot office building located at 31 W. 27th Street in Manhattan to Savanna.
- Westbrook Partners in the sale of a 95-unit rental property in Brooklyn, New York.
- MRP Realty and Deutsche Asset Management in an approximately $238 million purchase of an office and retail property located at 405 Park Avenue in Manhattan.
- Blackstone in its sale of multifamily properties in Manhattan, including the portfolio sale of seven properties.
- Fetner Associates in an assemblage on the Upper West Side in Manhattan for the development of a condominium.
- MRP Realty and Long Wharf in the $36 million acquisition of a commercial condominium in Midtown Manhattan.
Development and Financing
- JDS Development in the closing of a $664 million construction loan to build a 1,066-foot tower located at 9 DeKalb Avenue in Brooklyn, New York. Upon completion, the mixed-use luxury tower will be Brooklyn’s tallest skyscraper.
- Delshah Capital in its joint venture with Start Treatment and Recovery Centers and OTL Enterprises to develop a mixed-use development in Brooklyn, and the $103 million mortgage and mezzanine construction financing provided by Bank OZK and EverWest Real Estate Partners.
- Steiner Studios in securing a $66 million construction loan from M&T Bank for the development of New York City’s first Hollywood-style production and support facility located at the historic Brooklyn Navy Yard.
- Sugar Hill Capital Partners in securing a $97 million construction loan and $30 million senior mezzanine loan from Mack Real Estate Credit Strategies for a condominium redevelopment project located at 1 Prospect Park West in Brooklyn, New York.
- JDS Development in the closing of mortgage and mezzanine financing for a mixed-use development in Brooklyn, New York.
- Kalimian Family Trust in securing financing of multi-family rental buildings in Manhattan.
- Icon Realty Management in securing a $425 million mortgage loan from Bank of the Ozarks and a mezzanine loan from Apollo Commercial Real Estate Finance for the construction of two condominium towers on the Upper East Side in Manhattan.
- East End Capital in office and retail leases in Manhattan and Miami, Florida.
- The Klein Group in a retail lease to La Pecora Bianca, an Italian café, on the Upper East Side in Manhattan.
- The Klein Group in a retail lease to PetSmart on the Upper West Side in Manhattan.
- The landlord in a lease to Trader Joe’s in Manhattan.
- The Related Companies/Oxford Properties in the one million-square-foot retail project at Hudson Yards in Manhattan.
- Take-Two Interactive Software in its headquarters lease with the Durst Organization at 1133 Avenue of the Americas in Manhattan.
- WeWork in leases and subleases in Manhattan and Long Island City, including subleases to New York City restaurant staples Momofuku and Westville.
- Cognizant in its headquarters lease at Hudson Yards in Manhattan.
- Purolite Corporation in its headquarters lease in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania.
- The First Union Baptist Church of the Bronx in securing a favorable settlement that allows the Church to pay its debts and remain at its historic location after facing foreclosure, as well as provide for the development of 45 units of affordable housing.
Experience prior to joining Kasowitz includes:
- Commerz Real in the acquisition and redevelopment of luxury shopping center Atlas Plaza and other retail properties in Miami Beach, Florida, for its open-ended real estate fund hausInvest.
- Macquarie Bank in the acquisition and financing of Icon Parking Systems, the largest parking garage portfolio across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts.
- L’Oreal USA in its 400,000-square-foot headquarters lease at Hudson Yards in Manhattan.
- Cushman & Wakefield in its acquisition of Massey Knakal Realty Services.
- Ivanhoé Cambridge in the acquisition of a large equity interest in two landmark office properties, including the U.S. Bank Tower, the Tabor Center and an adjacent development site in downtown Denver, Colorado.
- A religious institution in the $48 million sale of a development site in Midtown Manhattan.
- A developer in the purchase of several development sites on the Upper West Side in Manhattan for a planned mixed-use tower and negotiation of a joint venture with Extell Development.
- A real estate asset manager in the $28 million acquisition and financing of a commercial condominium on Park Avenue.
- A real estate developer in construction financing and land use issues for a residential condominium and rental project in Dumbo, Brooklyn, and the negotiation of a joint venture with Carlyle.
- A major financial institution in the sale of several hotels across the United States.
- An institutional investor advised by Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers in the purchase of 551 Madison Avenue in Midtown Manhattan.
- Greenland Group in the purchase of a large equity interest in the Atlantic Yards Project in Brooklyn, New York.
- Federal-Mogul Corporation in its acquisition of the engine valve business of TRW through stock and asset deals in ten jurisdictions around the world.