Darwin Huang represents developers, investors, owners, and institutional and private lenders in a wide range of transactional real estate matters, including acquisitions/dispositions and financings of commercial, condominium, hotel and mixed-use properties. He also represents landlords and tenants in the leasing of office and retail space.
Darwin regularly negotiates loan workouts, foreclosures, joint ventures, leasing and licensing agreements on behalf of his clients.
Darwin is recognized in The Legal 500 and described by clients as an "exceptional" lawyer.
- JDS Development in the closing of a $664 million construction loan to build a 1,066-foot tower located at 9 DeKalb Avenue in Brooklyn, New York. Upon completion, the mixed-use luxury tower will be Brooklyn's tallest skyscraper.
- AEW Capital in the joint acquisition of a residential condominium development project with Silverback Development in Long Island City, New York.
- Midtown Equities in securing approximately $280 million in mortgage and mezzanine loans for the refinancing of Empire Stores located at 55 Water Street in Brooklyn, New York.
- Slate Property in a joint venture with the Carlyle Group to establish a $750 million lending platform.
- Quinlan Development Group and Building and Land Technology in securing an approximately $152 million loan to recapitalize and lease-up the Pioneer Building located at 41 Flatbush in Brooklyn, New York.
- The Related Companies in multiple retail leases at Hudson Yards in Manhattan.
- GFI Capital in the $425 million acquisition and financing of the Parker New York Hotel in Manhattan and the negotiation of a joint venture with Elliot Management.
- MRR Development in the $104 million acquisition of (and zoning issues for) a development site located at 126 East 57th Street in Manhattan, which was one of the five largest land transactions in the United States in 2019, and the negotiation of a joint venture with Zahi Hagag, Israel’s largest developer.
- Quinlan Development Group in providing a mezzanine loan as part of a $100 million construction financing to a major New York developer for a residential tower in downtown Manhattan.
- Starwood Property Trust in numerous sales and mortgage loan matters across the nation, including in North Carolina, Florida, Michigan, California and New Jersey.
- Arbor Realty Trust in a $37 million mortgage loan to finance the operation of a multi-family residential property in Jacksonville, Florida.
- U.S. Realty Advisors in the acquisition and financing of a 48-acre industrial facility in Massillon, Ohio, from Geis Companies.
- Greenland Group in securing construction financing from institutional and EB-5 lenders for the development of a $1 billion project involving three residential towers in downtown Los Angeles, California.
- A major Chinese asset manager in providing over $600 million in EB-5 loans to real estate developers for projects in Las Vegas, Los Angeles and New York.
- Bank of America in various mortgage and mezzanine loans to finance the operation of Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, the W Hotel Atlanta, the Le Pavillon Hotel, DoubleTree Santa Ana, and other various hotel properties.
- Apollo Commercial Real Estate Finance in various mortgage and mezzanine loans to finance the acquisition, development and operation of condominiums, mixed-use and other properties in New York, Massachusetts, and Florida.
- Atalaya in a $10 million mezzanine loan secured by a property located at 320 E. 82nd Street in Manhattan.
- Natixis in various mortgage and mezzanine loans secured by properties in California and New Jersey.
- Citi Bank in various mortgage loans to finance the operation of retail and supermarket properties in New York, Alabama, Wisconsin, Indiana, Nevada, Texas and Mississippi.
- Macquarie Bank in various construction loans for the development of condominiums in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- RCG Longview in various mortgage and mezzanine loans to finance the acquisition, construction and operation of mixed-use and commercial buildings and condominiums in New York City.