Jason S. Takenouchi represents companies, government institutions, partnerships and individuals in state and federal court, and in private arbitrations and internal investigations. His practice includes complex civil and criminal litigation, including technology litigation, insurance, white collar defense, securities and antitrust. Jason's technology practice includes litigation involving failed or troubled implementations of Enterprise Resource Planning (“ERP”) software systems such as SAP (including S/4HANA), Oracle EBS, NetSuite, WorkDay and Microsoft Dynamics. Jason’s recent work includes a federal jury trial that resulted in a $25 million fraud and professional negligence verdict against a system integrator, a $31 million recovery from a system integrator and its insurers for the State of Hawaii, and a whistleblower action on behalf of a former system integrator employee.
Jason has been recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a Litigation Star.
- Lubrizol, a global specialty chemicals company, in an action against IBM stemming from an implementation of SAP S/4HANA.
- The State of Hawaii in an action alleging fraud, False Claims Act violations and other claims against technology firm Ciber and its insurers stemming from an implementation of Oracle software for the State’s Department of Transportation, resulting in a $31 million recovery, exceeding the $7 million Hawaii paid to Ciber for the failed ERP project.
- Copart in a four-week jury trial resulting in a $20 million verdict against Sparta Consulting and its parent, KPIT Infosystems, for fraud and professional negligence stemming from an implementation of SAP software.
- Whistleblower litigation against SAP Public Services and Deloitte Consulting arising from an Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) project for the City of San Diego. The litigation is pending.
- The Jacobson Group, a payroll services provider for entertainment companies and projects, in litigation arising out of a failed Microsoft Dynamics project. The litigation is pending.
- Avnet in an action alleging fraud and other claims against Deloitte Consulting stemming from an implementation of SAP software.
- NuCal Foods, an agricultural cooperative, in antitrust litigation relating to the U.S. egg market. NuCal settled on favorable terms.
- UniCredit, a leading European bank, in defending a lawsuit in connection with tax shelter transactions.
- Several Silicon Valley companies and executives in investigations into stock options practices and alleged backdating.
- The owner of an international hedge fund in a dispute with two partners who were diverting business opportunities and looting the company. Jason handled the factual investigation and assisted in obtaining a Mareva injunction in Hong Kong seizing the assets of the defendant partners, forcing the defendants to buy the client out on favorable terms.
- Kauai Island Utility Cooperative, the exclusive retail electric service provider for the Hawaiian island of Kauai, in an investigation and criminal and civil cases relating to alleged violations of federal and endangered species statutes. Jason coordinated all fact investigation and pretrial motions, and his work led to the successful resolution of the criminal charges and the dismissal of the civil claims.
- NuCal Foods, an agricultural cooperative, in a lawsuit against egg producers who sold the company eggs that were later recalled for Salmonella contamination. The case settled on favorable terms.
- Former partners of a dissolved California law firm in a bankruptcy case involving the firm’s purported right to fees earned by the partners around the time of dissolution. The clients were fully vindicated after a bench trial.
- Asian razor blade manufacturer in an intellectual property dispute with a U.S. company. The case settled on favorable terms.