Paul J. Burgo represents individuals, private equity funds, hedge funds, financial institutions and other corporations both as plaintiffs and defendants. He has successfully advocated for clients in disputes involving commercial law, finance, corporate governance, securities law, real estate, intellectual property, governmental investigations, telecommunications and bankruptcy law.
Paul has been recognized by The Legal 500 and as a "Rising Star" in New York Super Lawyers and was named Empire State Counsel for his pro bono work.
- Defended several private equity funds and hedge funds in connection with a fraudulent transfer action arising out of their receipt of substantial redemption proceeds.
- The president and chief investment officer of a prominent private equity fund arising out of a corporate governance dispute under Delaware law.
- Several clients in internal investigations in response to governmental subpoenas from agencies including the Department of Labor, the Department of Treasury and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Harbinger Capital Partners, the controlling shareholder of LightSquared, in connection with LightSquared’s bankruptcy proceeding.
- Harbinger Capital Partners in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado seeking over $1.5 billion in damages for violating federal and state racketeering and other laws.
- The indenture trustee for the pre-LBO notes in the Tribune Company bankruptcy and in litigation around the country related to fraudulent conveyance. The firm successfully opposed a motion to dismiss in California state court on sovereign immunity grounds.
- A major bond insurer in connection with litigation in multiple jurisdictions relating to its bond restructuring and issuance of a consent solicitation.
- FIG LLC, an affiliate of Fortress Investment Group, in an action in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York brought by Leslie Dick Worldwide Ltd. and Leslie Dick, which sought over $1 billion in damages for alleged RICO and antitrust conspiracies, concerning the sale of the General Motors Building in New York City and the Conseco bankruptcy. The firm successfully obtained the dismissal of the claims against Fortress.
- Fortress Credit and FCOF UL Investments, affiliates of asset manager Fortress Investment Group, in actions relating to the issuance of legal opinion letters in connection with a sham transaction put together by disbarred attorney Marc S. Dreier.
- Numerous real estate developers in connection with partnership and contact disputes in arbitrations and state court litigations.
- Several financial institutions in connection with their claims of securities fraud arising out of their purchase of auction rate securities.
- Massachusetts General Hospital in connection with a lawsuit improperly brought against the Hospital in federal court in New York by the family of a prominent television producer. The firm obtained the dismissal of the action in its entirety and obtained an affirmation of the dismissal before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals on appeal.
- Companies in the fashion industry, including a jewelry company in an action for copyright and trade dress infringement against Banana Republic.