Andrew R. Kurland focuses his practice on commercial litigation, and he has experience representing a broad range of clients in connection with disputes regarding securities, complex financial products, credit facilities, and real estate transactions, among others, in both state and federal courts. Andrew was named a Rising Star in business litigation in New York Metro Super Lawyers.
- Astra Asset Management, a London-based asset manager, in a trust instruction proceeding against Goldman Sachs involving Astra’s investment in an Abacus CDO sponsored by Goldman Sachs. Astra, which was seeking to require the distribution of $55 million in collateral appreciation to investors, rather than to Goldman, won two dispositive motions; Goldman Sachs settled with Astra on the eve of trial.
- An investment fund in numerous arbitrations with former clients and a clearing broker arising out of a catastrophic market event.
- An importer and distributor in a multi-billion dollar, multi-national dispute concerning tariffs.
- TPG in numerous matters, including in bankruptcy proceedings and multiple state and federal court actions concerning portfolio company Caesars Entertainment, and in obtaining injunctive relief against a former employee for breaching confidentiality obligations.
- A commercial real estate development organization in connection with claims related to its multi-billion dollar acquisition of a hotel chain with locations throughout North America.
- A prominent entrepreneur and real estate developer in connection with his investment in numerous casinos in Atlantic City.
- The conservator for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in multiple actions against financial institutions relating to the government sponsored entities’ purchase of residential mortgage backed securities.
- The owner of a satellite communications firm in connection with a multi-billion dollar dispute with its creditors and other stakeholders.
- A regional bank, a gaming organization, and an industrial metal recycling firm in connection with each of their purchases of Auction Rate Securities.