For more than two decades, Maria Gorecki's practice has focused on litigating complex matters in state and federal courts. Maria represents plaintiffs and defendants in sophisticated litigation matters throughout the country with a particular focus on commercial disputes, antitrust, products liability, securities fraud, white-collar defense, and defamation cases. She is an experienced litigator who has handled all phases of litigation, including trials and appeals.
In addition, Maria has substantial experience representing clients in arbitration proceedings throughout the United States and is a trained mediator with the American Arbitration Association.
Prior to re-joining Kasowitz:
- An heiress in claims against, among others, the trustee of the family’s trusts.
- A sports nutrition company in actions involving a contract dispute, insurance recovery and employment and labeling litigation.
- Anderson News, a leading magazine wholesaler, in an antitrust action alleging a conspiracy among the leading magazine publishers and distributors to boycott Anderson, forcing the company into bankruptcy.
- Source Interlink Distribution and Source Interlink Companies, magazine wholesalers, in an antitrust action alleging that leading magazine publishers and their distributors conspired to force Source out of the wholesale single-issue magazine market. One commentator noted: “Standing in the way of the publishers’ alleged conspiracy, like Superman in front of a speeding locomotive, has been Kasowitz Benson.” The case settled on favorable terms.
- Donald J. Trump in a high-profile defamation action against a New York Times reporter and book publisher.
- Refco Litigation Trust in an action that froze nearly $1 billion of a foreign bank’s assets located in New York. Refco was one of the largest commodities brokerage firms in the United States.
- Le-Nature’s Liquidation Trust in an action arising from a massive Ponzi scheme causing more than $500 million in damages to the Le-Nature estate.
- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in a trial defending against claims arising from the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center.
- Two chemical manufacturers in a complex toxic tort action. Successfully obtained summary judgment dismissal of failure to warn claims under the doctrine of federal preemption.