New York Law Journal Names Kasowitz 2019 Litigation Department of the Year for Labor and Employment
Kasowitz Benson Torres’s Employment Practices and Litigation Group has been named Litigation Department of the Year for Labor and Employment by the New York Law Journal in recognition of the group’s significant litigation results during the past year.
The Kasowitz employment litigation group is headed by partner Mark W. Lerner, and he, together with partner Jessica Taub Rosenberg and the employment litigation team, have handled representations of:
- Northwell Health, one of the largest hospital systems in the United States and the largest private employer in New York State, in litigating and achieving favorable settlements in multiple matters involving competition for physicians and their practice groups with other major hospital systems, including NYU and Catholic Health Services.
- mGage, a global mobile messaging company, in obtaining a preliminary injunction from the Southern District of New York, enforcing restrictive covenants including by enjoining former employees from working for any competitor and from soliciting any employees, clients, suppliers, customers or business prospects of mGage.
- Douglas Elliman Realty, the second largest real estate brokerage in the United States, in achieving a favorable settlement of an action against competitor Urban Compass and two former Elliman brokers for breach of contract.
- XPO Logistics, Inc., a Fortune 200 company, in achieving favorable settlements of an arbitration enforcing non-competition and other post-employment restrictive covenants and of numerous other non-compete disputes before litigation.
- JDS Development Group and a Joint Venture, developers of the most ambitious real estate projects in the U.S., in defending claims for breach of contract involving the change of real estate brokerage firms marketing and selling their rising skyscraper at 111 West 57th Street.
- CenturyLink Communications in a high-profile sexual harassment lawsuit filed in the Southern District of New York which settled in 2018.
- Alton Delane, a Managing Director at Dentons, the international law firm, in achieving a favorable settlement of allegations of sexual harassment in a highly publicized purported #MeToo claim.
View Kasowitz’s New York Law Journal profile for the Litigation Department of the Year: Labor and Employment Award.
Mark W. Lerner is the head of the firm’s Employment Practices and Litigation Group. A former federal prosecutor, Mark focuses his practice on advice and litigation relating to discrimination and harassment claims on behalf of management, non-competition agreements, employee raiding and lift-outs, theft of company information, executive compensation disputes, terminations and lay-offs, and wage and hour actions. Mark has been recognized by Chambers USA, The Legal 500 in its elite “Leading Lawyers” list, and Super Lawyers as a top practitioner in the field of Labor and Employment Law. Mark was also named to Lawdragon’s 2019 list of the Most Powerful Corporate Employment Lawyers in the U.S.
Jessica Taub Rosenberg, partner at Kasowitz Benson Torres, represents employers and prominent senior executives in all aspects of employment-related litigation before federal and state courts, administrative agencies and arbitration panels. Jessica has been shortlisted as a 2019 Labor & Employment New York Attorney of the Year and recognized as a New York “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, as well as included on Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hot List. She has also been named a Women Worth Watching by Diversity Journal and a “Rising Star” in Labor and Employment Law by Super Lawyers.
Mr. Lerner and Ms. Rosenberg recently won a Law360 Distinguished Legal Writing Award by The Burton Awards program for their article, “When Sexual Harassment is also a Crime,” published in the New York Law Journal.