Charles A. Naggar’s practice focuses on intellectual property and patent litigation primarily involving pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and medical device patent infringement matters, including Hatch-Waxman litigation. His life sciences experience includes cases involving diabetes, cancer, fibromyalgia, cardiovascular disease, and vaccines. Charles also represents technology companies in patent litigation involving computers and mobile devices, where he has experience litigating cases involving design patents, computer software, and cell phone technology.
Charles has experience in all aspects of patent litigation, including pre-filing investigation and strategy, fact and expert discovery, depositions, negotiations, claim construction, motion practice, settlement agreements, licensing, trials and appeals. Additionally, he has experience with district court, International Trade Commission (ITC), Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), and appellate proceedings.
Before joining Kasowitz, Charles worked as a chemical engineer at a number of laboratories, including Joule Unlimited, Abbott Laboratories and Procter & Gamble. His work involved pharmaceutical development, biofuel purification, biotechnology, and chemical technologies.
Charles’ pro bono activities include volunteering at family court and helping protect intellectual property rights of a non-profit organization devoted to supporting healthy eating and cooking habits for children.
Charles is recognized by Best Lawyers on its Ones to Watch list in the Intellectual Property Law category.
Charles holds a Bachelor of Science degree in chemical engineering.
Charles is fluent in Hebrew.
Prior to joining Kasowitz:
- Mylan, a global generic and specialty pharmaceuticals company, in Hatch–Waxman patent infringement litigation and inter partes review proceedings related to DPP-IV inhibitors and metformin for the treatment of type 2 diabetes (Tradjenta® and Jentadueto®).
- Mylan in a patent infringement action related to the drug pemetrexed (Alimta®).
- Mylan in a Hatch–Waxman patent infringement case related to the drug milnacipran (Savella®).
- Mylan in a patent infringement action related to the drug prasugrel (Effient®).
- Maquet Cardiovascular in a patent infringement action asserting patent claims involving medical devices for endoscopic vein harvesting.
- Hubei Grand Life Science and Technology in a patent infringement case and related IPRs regarding a process for producing taurine.
- Dell in a patent infringement action involving touch-screen technology.
- EFX Marketing in a patent and copyright infringement action related to packaging designs.
- Jiangsu Shagang Group, China’s largest private steel entity, in an ITC investigation brought by U.S. Steel for antitrust, trade secret misappropriation, and false designation of origin allegations.