Tracy B. Rane is a trial lawyer with over two decades of experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of complex litigation matters, including insurance, entertainment, copyright, trademark, defamation, right of publicity, breach of contract and right of privacy. She has extensive experience handling all aspects of litigation in both federal and state courts, including matters before the California Courts of Appeal and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Tracy is recognized as a Southern California Super Lawyer in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation.
Prior to joining Kasowitz, Tracy was a partner in a boutique litigation firm.
- A multi-platinum rock group in an arbitration involving breach of contract claims, successfully obtaining a $1 million fee award in favor of the client.
- A multi-platinum recording artist in a declaratory relief action concerning ownership of the copyrights to various songs.
- A recording artist in an action involving copyright infringement, breach of partnership agreement, and violation of California Business and Professions Code Section 17200.
- A screenwriter in a breach of contract and breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing claim against an insurer who failed to pay for the insured’s defense in an underlying action.
- A copyright owner in a lawsuit involving copyright infringement of music composition textbooks.
- A music company to recover possession of a famous guitar. Tracy successfully obtained dismissal of claims asserted in cross-complaint by filing an anti-SLAPP motion on behalf of the client.
- A multi-platinum rock band in an insurance coverage dispute involving intellectual property that was used in the band’s advertising.
- A multi-platinum rock band in a copyright infringement and breach of partnership action involving artwork that was used by the defendant on merchandise, album covers, and during live shows.
- A multi-platinum artist in successfully obtaining summary judgment in a copyright infringement action involving a musical composition on behalf of the client.
- A recording artist and record label in a copyright case involving an alleged sample of the plaintiff’s song.
- A recording artist in successfully obtaining summary judgment in a copyright infringement action involving the alleged infringement of lyrics on behalf of the client.
- A technology corporation in a breach of contract and fraud case. After a three-month trial, the jury awarded the client $63 million in damages.