Patrick McDonald is a litigator with experience representing major corporations, partnerships, financial institutions and high-net-worth individuals in multi-billion dollar commercial, complex financial, securities, RICO, bankruptcy and contractual disputes in state and federal courts across the country.
- Federal Housing Finance Agency, as conservator for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, in actions in federal and state courts against numerous financial institutions and individuals. The lawsuits sought rescission or damages from the banks for, among other things, their misrepresentations concerning pools of mortgage loans that underlie residential mortgage-backed securities the banks issued, securitized and sold to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. After prevailing on critical pre-trial issues, FHFA settled the actions brought by Kasowitz for over $2 billion, including a $1.25 billion settlement with Morgan Stanley.
- Loreley Financing in analyzing and bringing claims against major investment banks and other financial institutions concerning billions of dollars of collateralized debt obligations and other structured finance products. Patrick completed a secondment with the foreign bank.
- Official Equity Committee in Hercules Offshore, resulting in the confirmation of a plan that provided equity with a guaranteed recovery of $15 million and reduced the claim of the first lien lenders by $32.5 million.
- Resolute Forest Products in its civil RICO and defamation action.
- Beverly Hills Unified School District in its NEPA action against the Federal Transit Administration challenging the proposed route for the extension of the purple line subway in Los Angeles, CA, which is presently set to run under Beverly Hills High School.
- Board of Managers of 325 Fifth Avenue in an action against the developer of the luxury-condominium arising from the defective design and construction of the building and fraudulent efforts to conceal the existence of known defects.
- New York State Assembly in the Moreland Commission investigation.