Lauren represents clients through all stages of complex commercial litigation from pre-litigation advisory services through trial and appeal. Lauren has extensive experience handling complex real estate disputes, civil RICO and other securities actions, professional malpractice, tax, insurance and other high stakes matters. She regularly represents publicly traded companies, private corporations, and high net worth individuals in high stake disputes in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Law360 named Lauren a 2019 Rising Star in the Trials category, one of only five attorneys recognized in this category nationwide. Lauren has been recognized as a Leading Lady in Real Estate by Real Estate Weekly, included on Benchmark Litigation’s 40 & Under Hot List and named a Woman Worth Watching by Diversity Journal.
Real Estate Disputes and Environmental Actions
Lauren represents clients in real estate and environmental matters involving the development, construction, sale and management of billions of dollars in real estate assets and infrastructure projects.
- Board of Managers of 325 Fifth Avenue in recovering over $20 million in damages, repairs, and other relief from the defective design and construction of the building and fraudulent efforts to conceal the existence of known defects.
- Beverly Hills Unified School District in a NEPA action against the Federal Transit Administration challenging the proposed route for the extension of the purple line subway in Los Angeles, CA, which is presently set to run under Beverly Hills High School.
- The Related Companies in disputes with a joint venture partner.
Securities and Civil RICO
Lauren has been handling securities fraud and civil RICO cases for over a decade. Her experience includes the defense of a short-selling attack against Fairfax Financial Holdings in an unprecedented, highly publicized civil RICO lawsuit credited with saving the company and restoring $2 billion in investor value. She has advised numerous other public companies subject to disinformation attacks, including AmTrust Financial Services, Resolute Forest Products, Harvey Norman Limited, Amira Foods and Energy Transfer Partners.
Lauren also represents defrauded investors in securities and fraud actions, including a public state pension fund and several mutual funds pursuing direct securities fraud claims and New Jersey RICO claims in an opt-out suit against Valeant Pharmaceuticals arising from Valeant’s improper accounting and business practices.
Complex Business and Tax Disputes
Lauren has litigated and arbitrated complex commercial matters, including partnership, insurance and sensitive tax disputes on behalf of numerous clients.
- Insurers including AIG, AmTrust and Fairfax Financial Holdings in coverage defense and other business disputes.
- New York investment banker Denis Bovin.
- New York architect Robert Siegel of Gwathmey, Siegel & Associates Architects.
Software Implementation Litigation
Lauren has represented companies seeking to obtain recovery from consulting firms and software providers in connection with mission-critical software projects plagued by delayed or disastrous go-lives, deficient project management, missing functionality, defective interfaces and other problems.
- A leading healthcare company in a dispute with a software developer over a failed implementation of insurance claims processing software.
- Avantor Performance Materials in an action against IBM stemming from the failed implementation of SAP software and an IBM software product.
Criminal and Regulatory Enforcement
Lauren has represented individuals and organizations in white collar criminal and regulatory inquiries by the U.S. Justice Department, securities regulators, and state prosecutors and regulators.
- New York State Assembly in the Moreland Commission investigation.
Fiduciary Duty Litigation
Lauren regularly defends complex fiduciary duty claims.
- Successful Third Circuit appeal dismissing breach of fiduciary duty verdicts against certain officers and directors of the historic Lemington Home in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Reinstatement of directors improperly ousted from the board of 1035 Fifth Avenue.
Lauren has secured multi-million dollar malpractice recoveries against lawyers, accountants, and other professionals and has also successfully defended malpractice claims, including claims asserted against a New York City accounting firm.