Jennifer is a first chair trial lawyer with extensive experience handling complex real estate disputes, civil RICO and other securities actions, professional malpractice, tax and other high-stakes disputes. She regularly represents private corporations and partnerships, publicly traded companies, political bodies, state and municipal governments and high-net-worth individuals in high-stakes disputes.
Jennifer is recognized as a New York “Local Litigation Star” and was named as one of the 2017 “Top 250 Women in Litigation” by Benchmark Litigation. She was named a 2016 “Woman to Watch” by Diversity Journal, a recognition highlighting women based on their trailblazing strategies, concepts and ideas that make a difference in their workplace, marketplace and around the world. She was also named one of Bisnow’s 2016 Female Power Players, which recognizes NYC commercial real estate's top female leaders and industry players.
Real Estate Disputes, Land Use and Environmental Actions. Jennifer represents clients with real estate, land use and environmental matters involving the investment, development, construction, sale, and management of billions of dollars in real estate assets and infrastructure projects.
- Beverly Hills Unified School District in its ongoing NEPA action against the Federal Transit Administration challenging the proposed route for the extension of the purple line subway in Los Angeles, CA, which is set to run under Beverly Hills High School.
- Obtained reversal of a taking of a parking lot from developer Steel Equities to satisfy the zoning requirements for Calpine’s newly constructed Long Island Power Plant on the grounds that it violated the Fifth Amendment by conferring a private benefit on Calpine.
- Defended a foreclosure action on behalf of distressed investors in Miami Savoy Hotel permitting them to purchase the debt for a substantial discount.
- Secured sole ownership for real estate investor Eric Hadar and the Eric Hadar Family Trust of what his adversaries called “invaluable” Manhattan real estate development sites and the “crown jewels” of the disputed partnership’s assets.
- Obtained the then largest attachment in New York City history for Donald Trump against the owners of one of the last large scale real estate development sites in Manhattan.
- Obtained a determination from the Peconic Land Trust that a tree farm planted by Marc Goldman on one of the largest undeveloped lots in the Village of Sagaponack is a proper agricultural use under his conservation easement.
- Harry and Linda Macklowe in an action to recover debt from property developer Kent Swig.
- Defeated claims for specific performance against Syracuse University brought by the unsuccessful developer of the University’s bookstore.
Complex Business and Tax Disputes. Jennifer has successfully litigated and arbitrated complex commercial matters and sensitive tax disputes on behalf of numerous clients, including
- New York investment banker Denis Bovin.
- New York architect Robert Siegel of Gwathmey, Siegel & Associates Architects.
- Developer Eric Hadar and his development company Allied Partners.
- JFK Holdings Company in contract disputes with the City of New York, the Department of Homeless Services and The Salvation Army.
- The Related Companies in disputes with a Chinese joint venture partner.
Securities, Corporate Governance, and Civil RICO. Jennifer’s securities experience includes representing activist investors, class action defense, and defending against short-selling attacks on publicly traded companies on Civil Rico and other grounds. In these contexts, Jennifer has represented Fairfax Financial Holdings, Lehman Brothers Holdings, AmTrust Financial Services and Soroban Capital Partners.
Trust & Estate and Fiduciary Duty Litigation. Jennifer has handled high-profile and hotly disputed Trust and Estate controversies for high-net worth individuals and families, as well as trustees, including
- Secured the reinstatement of trustees removed for purported misconduct.
- Reinstatement of directors improperly ousted from the board of 1035 Fifth Avenue Corp.
- Successful Third Circuit appeal dismissing breach of fiduciary duty verdicts against certain officers and directors of the historic Lemington Home in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Procured the dismissal of a lawsuit by Alexis I. duPont-de Bie Sr., a seventh-generation heir to the duPont family fortune, against his trustee, Tredegar Trust Company.
Professional Malpractice. Jennifer has prosecuted and defended malpractice claims against attorneys, accountants and other professionals including the recent successful defense of a high-profile suit by prominent female performer Rihanna against her former representatives.
Criminal and Regulatory Enforcement. Jennifer has successfully represented individuals and organizations in white collar criminal and regulatory inquiries by the U.S. Justice Department, the Department of Labor, securities regulators, and state prosecutors and regulators. New York State Assembly in the Moreland Commission investigation.
#MeToo Complaints. Jennifer has handled sensitive anti-harassment issues, including relating to “#MeToo” complaints and opposing #MeToo lawyers who have frequently been in the press, on behalf of both companies and individuals.