Gavin D. Schryver focuses on complex commercial, restructuring and antitrust litigation in state and federal courts. Gavin is recognized as a Rising Star in New York Metro Super Lawyers.
- Creditors of Energy Future Holdings in a trial before Judge Christopher S. Sontchi, Chief U.S. Bankruptcy Judge for the District of Delaware, in successfully defeating the proposed allocation of hundreds of millions of dollars in administrative claims asserted by subsidiary company (EFIH) creditors UMB Bank, Elliott Associates, and the Energy Future Holdings/EFIH Plan Advisory Board. The Court held for Kasowitz’s Energy Future Holdings creditors on all but $18 million of the proposed allocation.
- Emergent Capital and its subsidiary White Eagle in lender liability claims in connection with a $370 million facility.
- J. Crew Group in defending claims by term lenders challenging certain strategic transactions involving J. Crew's intellectual property and asserting intentional fraudulent conveyance.
- National Grid in an action against a software vendor stemming from a $1 billion implementation of SAP software.
- The Association of Financial Guaranty Insurers in an amicus brief filed in the Court of Appeals for the First Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court in support of bondholders’ successful challenge to the Puerto Rico Recovery Act.
- MusclePharm, a nutritional supplements company, in various cases pending in various state and federal courts. We defeated a preliminary injunction motion brought by White Winston, a hedge fund shareholder of MusclePharm, seeking to prevent MusclePharm’s Chairman and CEO from converting his $18 million loan to the company into equity.
- Two investment advisory firms pursuing contract and other claims related to the improper redemption of bonds in violation of their governing indentures. The matter was settled after Gavin obtained an award of summary judgment establishing the defendant’s liability.
- A hedge fund in a dispute against a multi-billion dollar hedge fund arising out of a failed trade of distressed debt.