Deva Roberts has been a high-stakes commercial litigator and a trusted advisor to clients for over a decade. She has represented corporations, partnerships, financial institutions, real estate companies and individuals in compliance and investigations, as well as disputes involving contracts, intellectual property and fraud in federal and state courts. She has represented clients across a wide range of industries, including technology, media, real estate, manufacturing and finance.
Deva develops litigation strategy, including defense, prosecution and avoidance. She leads teams of associates; spearheads investigations and large-scale electronic discovery teams; and prepares fact and expert witnesses. She regularly appears on national television, including Fox, CNN and CW, speaking on a variety of legal topics involving business law, contracts, technology, First Amendment, tort and criminal law.
Drawing on her experience as a real estate broker, Deva regularly advises private real estate companies on contract matters and dispute management.
- Liggett in numerous litigations, investigations, and FDA compliance and enforcement matters, including:
- launching actions, including emergency preliminary injunctions, against the state of Colorado to invalidate an unconstitutional minimum price law in both federal and state court;
- defending against litigation brought by the state of Mississippi, including objecting to a special master’s report regarding Liggett’s prejudgment interest obligations; and
- challenging Mississippi’s erroneous application of a statute to Liggett products.
- A large hotel chain in bringing claims against contractors for fraudulent work performed on a hotel. Deva conducted client interviews and assisted with the investigation into the wrongdoing.
- Class of individuals with disabilities, securing a landmark class action settlement with Continuum Health Partners (part of the Mount Sinai Health System), in which the hospitals agreed to remediate architectural barriers at hospitals throughout New York.
- Clients in Congressional and other government inquiries and investigations, including representing a senior executive in an investigation by the Senate Select Committee, resulting in a successful proffer before the Committee.
- Purolite, one of the largest providers of water decontamination treatment processes worldwide, in prosecuting international trade secret theft of proprietary technology for use at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant against Hitachi subsidiaries and affiliates in Japan and New York federal court.
- A major media company in a breach-of-contract action arising from a bankruptcy auction involving more than a dozen radio stations and newspapers across the country.
- A private investment fund in multi-year, multi-forum litigation to recoup its investments in a defrauded corporation and defeat third-party claims.