Steven C. Carlson is a first chair intellectual property litigator with a focus on patent and trade secret disputes. He litigates cases through trial in fields across the technology spectrum, representing high-tech, pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies before district courts, appellate courts and the International Trade Commission. He offers strategic advice for companies to strengthen their IP portfolios, and litigates cases and counsels clients in matters involving trademark, copyright, products liability, and fraud.
Steven is a co-author of the Patent Case Management Judicial Guide, which is published by the Federal Judicial Center and provided to all federal judges as a best practices guide for handling patent cases. He also co-authored the book Patents in Germany and Europe: Procurement, Enforcement, and Defense. In addition, Steven has co-authored “Patent Case Management Judicial Guide,” for the Federal Judicial Center, as well as “Patents in Germany and Europe: Procurement, Enforcement and Defense: A Handbook for American Lawyers,” Wolters Kluwer. He also authored “IP Enforcement 101,” a chapter in “The Entrepreneur’s Roadmap: From Concept to IPO,” for the New York Stock Exchange.
Steven regularly speaks on intellectual property topics, including "Privilege Ethics," at the Advanced Patent Law Institute, and "Disclosing Secrets Under NDA: Are You Protected?," and “The Story of Invention: Strong Patents Through Good Laboratory Notebook Practices,” at consecutive Bay Area In-House Med-Tech Association (BAIMA) Seminars.
Steven served as a law clerk to the Honorable Roderick R. McKelvie in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware and to the Honorable Paul R. Michel in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Steven is serving as an adjunct lecturer at UC Berkeley School of Law teaching a patent litigation class focused on Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) proceedings. He previously volunteered in the United States Peace Corps in Morocco from 1993-1996, where he directed health and sanitation programs in remote Berber villages. He continues to pursue those interests as a member of Rotary International.
- Smart oven pioneer June Life in a multi-patent dispute brought by Innit.
- iVenture Card Asia in successfully arguing and winning trial at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board to invalidate patents held by Smart Destinations concerning database technology used in the travel industry.
- Sphero in a preliminary injunction suit against Spin Master involving robotic toy technology.
- Inventor Alan Stuart against Rust-Oleum to enforce a chemistry-related patent for vinyl siding restoration.
- Expensify, an expense report software provider, in patent and trademark suits against multiple competitors.
- MyPhoneFax.com against j2 Global Cloud Services in patent, breach of contract and trademark litigation.
- Database service provider MLab in domain name and trademark litigation against MongoDB.
- Toy industry inventors Carly Gloge and Isaac Squires in corporate fraud litigation against Cartwheel Kids.
- Bioethanol leader Superior Oil Company in a patent priority dispute against Solenis Technologies.
- Medical diagnostics company Cepheid in a patent dispute against Abaxis.
- Mapping and navigation company MapBox in patent litigation against LBS Innovations.
- ZOLL Medical in patent disputes with Philips.
- Self-inflating tire pioneer Coda Innovations in a trade secret, fraud, and improper inventorship action against The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.
- Tasmanian cloud computing company JadeLiquid Software in multi-jurisdiction patent litigation against Novell.
- Medical device company RolleSolutions in a trade secret and unfair competition suit against a former employee.
- Allergan at trial and on appeal, successfully enforcing patents to glaucoma therapy.
- Allergan, Endo Pharmaceuticals and Supernus Pharmaceuticals in pharmaceutical patent litigation for treatment of overactive bladder.
- A computing company in cybersecurity proceedings against former IT employee.
- Cybersecurity pioneer SRI in a successful trial of patents relating to network intrusion detection systems.
- Applied Biosystems in U.S. and Germany assertion of realtime PCR instrument patents, winning worldwide license.
- Microsoft in patent litigation over automated spreadsheet technology.
- Microsoft in a patent litigation trial over operating system software.
- Samsung at trial against patents relating to semiconductor chip packaging technology.
- Third party Celera Diagnostics at trial in a patent infringement matter relating to assay for detection of Hepatitis C.
- Hard drive manufacturer Cornice in an International Trade Commission dispute with Seagate. Nassda in a trade secret matter relating to electronic design automation technology.
- Applera in a DNA forensics technology patent dispute.