Ryan P. Montefusco’s practice focuses on complex commercial and securities litigation. Ryan works with insurers, financial institutions and individuals in civil matters in state and federal court.
Prior to joining Kasowitz, Ryan clerked for the Honorable Maryanne Trump Barry of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and the Honorable Katharine S. Hayden of the United States District Court, District of New Jersey.
- MF Global Holdings, a former global financial derivatives broker, in a $3 billion lawsuit against its outside auditor, PwC, which settled during trial.
- Bondholder in connection with Puerto Rico’s debt adjustment proceedings and related litigation against stakeholders and bond trustee.
- Teva, the global pharmaceutical company headquartered in Israel, and its US subsidiary Actavis, in defending a number of antitrust class actions.
- A hedge fund in a dispute against a multi-billion dollar hedge fund arising out of a failed trade of distressed debt.
- MBIA, one of the world’s largest monoline insurers, in litigation brought by 18 of the world’s largest banks seeking to overturn MBIA’s corporate restructuring which, with the approval of the New York Department of Insurance (now the Department of Financial Services), established a separate company for MBIA’s municipal bond insurance business. After a several-week evidentiary proceeding, the New York Supreme Court ruled in favor of MBIA, upholding MBIA’s restructuring. The banks agreed to drop their challenge to MBIA’s restructuring, and MBIA then received $1.7 billion in cash and a $500 million line of credit for its municipal bond insurance business.
- A lender in a dispute with The Royal Bank of Scotland relating to Liverpool Football Club, which was sold to a group led by the owner of the Boston Red Sox.