Paul M. “Tad” O’Connor is a distinguished trial and appellate litigator focusing on complex commercial cases, including state-wide, nationwide and cross-border class actions. He is cited and consulted for his legal knowledge by business and legal publications including The Wall Street Journal, The American Lawyer, Law360, the Rand Institute and others.
Tad represents corporations, limited liability companies, banks, funds, brokerages and other entities and individuals in federal and state courts around the country and before arbitration tribunals in the United States and Europe. He has been involved a number of times in obtaining discovery outside the United States under international conventions and treaties. He also has concentrated experience handling significant real estate matters related to commercial and hotel properties around the country, including the representation of hotel operators in disputes with owners. His successful work in this area has contributed significantly to the firm’s Real Estate and Hotel Litigation Practice Group receiving recognition as a national Tier 1 practice in the "Litigation - Real Estate" category from U.S. News - Best Lawyers. In addition, Tad represents software and computer companies in a variety of intellectual property matters.
As a result of his work, Tad has been appointed by courts to serve as a bankruptcy trustee and as a director of a facility administering large product liability settlements. He is recognized by The Legal 500 as one of the top lawyers in the United States in the area of “Litigation: Trade Secrets.”
- TPG, one of the world’s largest private equity firms, in a variety of matters, including in litigation related to a Greek telecommunications company.
- A large Singapore semiconductor-related company in successful litigation involving its 2013 debt issuances.
- A lender in a dispute with The Royal Bank of Scotland relating to Liverpool Football Club, which was sold to a group led by the owner of the Boston Red Sox.
- Majority owner of Aman Resorts, a luxury hotel group with locations in 15 countries, in connection with a dispute relating to the acquisition of the company.
- Minority partners in disputes with the managing partners related to a nearly $2 billion portfolio of large commercial office buildings in New York, including the iconic Seagrams building, defeating dismissal motions and favorably settling the matter.
- A national developer obtaining summary judgment against The Sapir Organization, a New York real estate firm, relating to its failure to close a $20 million transaction to purchase property in Las Vegas.
- Two hotel operators in disputes with the hotel owners, including efforts by those owners to modify or terminate long-term management contracts.
- Lenders in foreclosing on over $300 million of loans secured by the Alex Hotel and Flatotel, obtaining judgment of foreclosure on both properties and on tens of millions of dollars in personal guaranties.
- A private equity firm in connection with claims against auditors relating to an investment in a clothing manufacturer in India.
- Affiliates of Fortress Investment Group in an action seeking to enforce the terms of a sale, and in a separate dispute relating to an energy investment.
- A large polymer company in a significant contract dispute with a major manufacturing company seeking to recoup up to $400 million, resulting in summary judgment affirmed on appeal for his client.
- A leading private equity investment advisor in multi-jurisdictional litigation against one of Australia’s largest financial institutions.
- A major supplier of engineering resins in a series of lawsuits around the country relating to underground petroleum supply lines.
- A software company in a significant copyright infringement and theft of trade secret case against a major computer hardware company.
- A privately held manufacturing company in a trademark and unfair competition suit against one of the nation’s largest web and telemarketing companies, obtaining a permanent injunction and damages for his client.
- Several insureds in a series of mediations and arbitrations seeking insurance coverage for product liability claims, including in a lengthy arbitration in London resulting in a recovery of nearly $100 million for one of his clients.
- As a director of the claims handling a company overseeing one of the largest product liability settlements in the country, as well as several other large settlements and a bankruptcy trust, managed the administration of more than $1 billion in claims.
- As trustee of a major bankrupt manufacturing company in Texas, recovered more than $80 million from the manufacturer’s insurers and others.