Leonard A. Feiwus is a seasoned trial lawyer with more than twenty years of experience in complex litigation. His broad practice focuses on business and commercial disputes of all kinds and a spectrum of highly specialized subject areas, including fraud and civil racketeering (RICO), antitrust, breach of contract and business torts, securities and financial instruments, mass torts, products liability and class actions, corporate governance and intellectual property. Len is experienced in all aspects of litigation, including as the first chair in significant jury trials. Len has successfully appeared and argued before state and federal trial and appellate courts around the country. Over the past fifteen years at Kasowitz, he has represented clients in more than a dozen jury trials, and in the management and strategy of products liability, RICO, antitrust and other matters.
Mr. Feiwus received his undergraduate degree from Columbia University and his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center. He has written and is a frequent lecturer on trial practice, complex trial litigation, mass torts and related topics.
- Successful resolution of a $40 million dollar arbitrated dispute concerning the accounting procedures used by PricewaterhouseCoopers in connection with an industry-wide settlement agreement.
- Purolite Corporation, one of the largest providers of water decontamination treatment processes worldwide, in prosecuting international trade secret theft of proprietary technology for use at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant against Hitachi subsidiaries and affiliates in Japan and New York federal court.
- Successful resolution of a contract indemnification action brought by Adobe System’s customer Staples for intellectual property infringement claims asserted relating to the use of certain Adobe browser products.
- Successful representation of Hilton Worldwide in a civil action alleging trade secret misappropriation and other business torts brought by Starwood Hotels & Resorts. This highly complex case involved dozens of witnesses and hundreds of thousands of pages of electronic and hard copy documents, and was settled after about one year of discovery.
- Successful prosecution of a civil trade secret misappropriation action regarding stolen manufacturing formulae on behalf of chemical producer Purolite against a foreign multi-national defendant in federal district court in Philadelphia. After Purolite prevailed on summary judgment and Daubert motions following a week-long evidentiary hearing regarding the scope of its money damages, the case was settled in favor of Purolite for $38 million.
- Representing client in a multi-million dollar complex partnership dispute arising out of a private equity RMBS-based fund.
- Successful defense of cigarette manufacturer Liggett in a series of individual personal injury jury trials and appeals arising from the multi-billion dollar decertified smoker class action in Florida known as Engle v. Liggett Group, et al., including the achievement of a $110 million global settlement to resolve 4,900 of the individual lawsuits for the client.
- Successful representation in a series of civil RICO actions brought against major tobacco companies, including as lead trial counsel for Liggett in two ten-week federal jury trials before Judge Jack B. Weinstein in New York, and a nine-month bench trial brought by the United States Department of Justice before Judge Gladys Kessler in Washington, D.C.
- Successfully argued for reversal of multi-million dollar punitive damages award involving a $72 million judgment in Florida State Court concerning complex product liability issues.