Jason S. Takenouchi has represented individuals, corporations and partnerships in state and federal court, and in private arbitrations and internal investigations. His practice includes complex civil and criminal litigation, including white collar defense, securities and antitrust. Jason has also represented law firms on professional responsibility matters, including litigation.
Prior to joining Kasowitz, Jason clerked for Hon. Lourdes G. Baird, Central District California. During law school, Jason clerked with the white collar prosecutions division of the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office, and with the antitrust division of the California Attorney General’s Office.
- Department of Transportation for the State of Hawaii in litigation against Ciber Inc., a publicly traded technology company. The State of Hawaii hired Ciber to implement an enterprise resource planning system, but Ciber’s defective project management, staff turnover and other misconduct resulted in a system that failed to function and that could not meet even the most basic needs of the State. The Kasowitz team is co-counsel with the Hawaii Attorney General’s office in the litigation, which is pending in the Circuit Court of the First Circuit, State of Hawaii.
- Copart, an online vehicle auction company, in litigation against Sparta Consulting, a technology company, over a failed enterprise resource planning system. The case is pending in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California.
- NuCal Foods, an agricultural cooperative, in antitrust litigation relating to the U.S. egg market. The case is pending in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- German financial institutions Unicredit Bank AG and Unicredit U.S. Finance in litigation brought by a former technology executive related to financial products.
- Several Silicon Valley companies and executives during investigations into stock options practices and alleged backdating.
- The owner of an international hedge fund in a dispute with two partners who were diverting business opportunities and looting the company. Jason handled the factual investigation and assisted in obtaining a Mareva injunction in Hong Kong seizing the assets of the defendant partners, forcing the defendants to buy the client out on favorable terms.
- Kauai Island Utility Cooperative, the public utility for the island of Kauai, Hawaii, in connection with Department of Justice criminal charges for alleged violations of the Endangered Species Act and related statutes, as well as civil claims brought by various environmental groups. Jason coordinated all fact investigation and pretrial motions, and his work led to the successful resolution of the criminal charges and the dismissal of the civil claims.
- NuCal Foods, an agricultural cooperative, in a lawsuit against egg producers who sold the company eggs that were later recalled for Salmonella contamination. Jason coordinated all discovery and pretrial activity, and his investigation led to evidence that a defendant had known about Salmonella contamination for months before the recall. The case settled on terms favorable to the client.
- Former partners of a dissolved California law firm in a bankruptcy case involving the firm’s purported right to fees earned by the partners around the time of dissolution. The clients were fully vindicated after a bench trial.
- Asian razor blade manufacturer in an intellectual property dispute with a U.S. company. Jason worked with the client on patent, design and trademark issues, and assisted in negotiating terms that settled the dispute and allowed the client to continue selling its products in the United States and other markets.