Michael Bowen's practice focuses on complex civil litigation, white collar criminal defense, corporate investigation and regulatory matters. He has litigated matters involving the international financial markets and market data distribution, securities fraud and regulation and shareholder derivative claims, government corruption charges, criminal conspiracy and racketeering and grand larceny, commercial contracts, fraud and commercial torts, unfair competition law, antitrust, environmental insurance law, defamation and libel and civil RICO and conspiracy claims. He has extensive trial experience, including trying to verdict complex multi-defendant conspiracy cases.
- Public companies in complex civil RICO lawsuits involving claims of illegal short-selling schemes, fraud, tortious interference, racketeering and conspiracy.
- Insurance company seeking recovery for securities fraud in the federal multi-district litigation relating to the collapse of Parmalat Finanziaria S.p.A.
- A not-for-profit institution victimized by systematic embezzlement in both the civil action for conversion and misappropriation and in the parallel state criminal investigation and prosecution.
- Bondholders seeking breach of contract damages stemming from a failed acquisition.
- Individual executives and entrepreneurs in state and federal courts facing various white collar criminal charges
From 1999 to 2006, Mike served as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney's Office, where he tried 20 jury trials. He prosecuted both white collar crime and violent crime, including securities fraud, grand larceny, government corruption, narcotics and firearm crimes, and criminal conspiracies. Working with a state/federal joint task force, he prosecuted some of the first New York cases involving national and international Internet drug-trafficking and conspiracy and tried large multi-defendant conspiracy cases to verdict.
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Lecturer, PowerPoint and Trial Advocacy, NY County District Attorney CLE Program
- Lecturer, Proving Identity in Internet Drug Crimes, HIDTA/DEA Regional Conference
New York University School of Law
(J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1992)
University of Dayton
(B.A., summa cum laude, 1989)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1994
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1994
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1998
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1999
- Law clerk for the Honorable Charles Sifton, United States District Judge for the Eastern District of New York