Hector Torres's practice focuses on antitrust and complex civil litigation. He has represented major U.S. and foreign corporations in a broad range of actions involving antitrust, intellectual property, securities fraud, product liability and contract matters in federal and state courts. He has prosecuted and defended cases involving transnational antitrust, commercial and insurance disputes before domestic and international arbitration tribunals. Hector was appointed and served as a member of Governor George Pataki’s New York State Judicial Screening Committee for the First Department from 2002 to 2006. He currently serves as a member of the New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, First Judicial Department, Committee on Character and Fitness. Hector was recognized in the 2015 edition of Who's Who Legal: Competition. He was also selected as both a national and local "litigation star" in the 2013-2015 editions of Benchmark Litigation and featured in the 2009, 2010 and 2011 editions of New York Super Lawyers.
- Representation of Ford Motor Company in connection with its investigation and claims arising from long-term global antitrust conspiracies by more than 30 automobile parts suppliers to fix prices, rig bids and allocate customers. Thirty-two suppliers have pled guilty or have agreed to plead guilty to price-fixing, bid rigging, customer allocation, and fined $2.4 billion, in connection with the ongoing international cartel investigation by the Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice.
- Representation of U.S. Bank N.A., as trustee of 13 RMBS securitization trusts, in actions seeking more than $6 billion for breaches of representations and warranties made by the sellers and loan originators with respect to the mortgage loans pooled in these securitizations. Defendants include affiliates of Credit Suisse, Morgan Stanley and UBS.
- Representation of Federal Housing Finance Agency (“FHFA”), as conservator for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, in numerous actions, seeking rescission or damages from financial institutions and individuals for, among other things, defendants’ misrepresentations concerning pools of mortgage loans that underlie residential mortgage-backed securities issued and securitized by the defendants and sold to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Cases settled with FHFA recovering $1.37 billion.
- Representation of Anderson News, L.L.C. in an antitrust action alleging a conspiracy among the leading magazine publishers and distributors to boycott Anderson forcing it into bankruptcy.
- Representation of Le*Nature’s Liquidation Trust in action arising from massive Ponzi scheme causing more than $500 million in damages to Le*Nature’s estate. For this representation, Hector was recently selected as The American Lawyer's "Litigator of the Week."
- Obtaining dismissal and negotiating favorable settlements on behalf of MBIA Inc., the world’s largest monoline insurer, in four separate state and federal actions brought against the company by 19 of the world’s largest financial institutions, bondholders and a putative nationwide class represented by several hedge funds – all arising from MBIA’s $5 billion corporate restructuring in 2009.
- Representation of Source Interlink Distribution, L.L.C. and Source Interlink Companies, Inc. ("Source") in an antitrust suit alleging that leading magazine publishers and their distributors conspired to force Source out of the wholesale single-issue magazine market. In February 2009, U.S. District Judge Paul A. Crotty granted a temporary restraining order to Source, ordering the defendant magazine publishers and their national distributors to resume supplying magazines to Source. After the TRO was issued, all 12 defendants agreed to settle with Source.
- Successful defense of CNA Holdings, Inc., Celanese Americas Corporation, Hoechst GmbH and Celanese GmbH in multi-district litigation involving alleged price-fixing conspiracy in North American polyester staple fiber market.
- Successful prosecution of Sherman Act and unfair competition claims on behalf of Toyota Tsusho Corporation and Tomen America, Inc. in international arbitrations and litigation arising from global parcel tanker price-fixing conspiracy.
- Successful prosecution of Sherman Act and unfair competition claims on behalf of Transammonia, Inc. and Trammochem AG in international arbitrations arising from parcel tanker price-fixing conspiracy.
- Successful representation of large Central American financial group in dispute arising from $1.5 billion bank sale to Citigroup.
- In a complex toxic tort action, successfully obtained summary judgment dismissal of failure-to-warn and related claims against Celanese Ltd. based on the federal pre-emption doctrine and the OSHA Hazardous Communication Standard.
- Successful prosecution of Sherman Act and unfair competition claims on behalf of Nidera Handelscompagnie B.V., Transgrain Transport B.V. and Transgrain Shipping B.V. in international arbitrations arising from parcel tanker price-fixing conspiracy.
- Successful prosecution of Sherman Act and unfair competition claims on behalf of Celanese Ltd., Celanese Chemicals Europe GmbH, Celanese Pte., Ltd., Grupo Celanese S.A., Servicios Corporativos Celanese S. de RL de C.V. and Acetex Corporation in international arbitrations arising from parcel tanker price-fixing conspiracy.
- Successful defense of Celanese Ltd. in $500 million contract action in Texas state court against Celanese Ltd.
- Successful prosecution of fraud and misappropriation of business opportunity claims against AIG subsidiary, American Life Insurance Company on behalf of Argentina-based AIVA, in federal district court in Delware, and in international arbitration under Inter-America Commission Arbitration Commission.
- Successful prosecution of securities fraud claims against Serfin Securities on behalf of Mexico-based Lamuno family.
- IBM Microchip Litigation -- successful defense of Celanese in lawsuits by hundreds of IBM employees alleging chemical exposure in microchip-manufacturing facilities.
- Home Equity Asset Trust 2006-8 (HEAT 2006-8), by U.S. Bank Nat’l Ass’n, solely in its capacity as Tr. v. DLJ Mortg. Capital, Inc., No. 654157/2012, 2014 N.Y. Misc. LEXIS 4380 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Cnty. Oct. 1, 2014)
- Home Equity Asset Trust 2007-2 (HEAT 2007-2), by U.S. Bank Nat’l Ass’n, solely in its capacity as Tr. v. DLJ Mortg. Capital, Inc., No. 651174/2013, 2014 N.Y. Misc. LEXIS 4371 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Cnty. Oct. 1, 2014)
- Ford Motor Company v. Fujikura LTD., No. 2:13-cv-13055-MOB-MKM (E.D. Mich. Mar. 4, 2014)
- Home Equity Asset Trust 2007-3 v. DLJ Mortg. Capital, Inc., No. 651563/2013, 2014 WL 1621046 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Cnty. Apr. 21, 2014)
- Lehman XS Trust, Series 2006-GP2, et al. v. GreenPoint Mortg. Funding, Inc., No. 12 Civ. 7935, 2014 WL 1301944 (S.D.N.Y. Mar. 31, 2014)
- Home Equity Asset Trust 2006-5 v. DLJ Mortg. Capital, Inc., No. 652344/2012, 2014 WL 27961 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Cnty. Jan. 3, 2014)
- Home Equity Asset Trust 2007-1 v. DLJ Mortg. Capital, Inc., No. 650369/2013, 2013 WL 6997183 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Cnty. Jan. 15, 2014)
- Federal Housing Finance Agency v. Morgan Stanley, No. 11 Civ. 6739 (DLC)(S.D.N.Y. 2012)
- Kirschner v. K&L Gates LLP, et al., -- A2d -- (PA Super May 14, 2012)
- Anderson News, L.L.C, et al. v. American Media, Inc. et al., -- F.3d -- (2d Cir. 2012), 732 F. Supp.2d 389 (S.D.N.Y. 2010)
- Koch Industries, Inc., et al. v. Hoechst Aktiengesellschaft, et al., 727 F. Supp.2d 199 (S.D.N.Y. 2010)
- Stolt-Nielsen SA v. Celanese AG, 430 F.3d 567 (2d Cir. 2005)
- American Life Ins. Co. v. Parra, 50 Fed. Appx. 538, 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23404 (3d Cir. Oct. 29, 2002)
- Bass v. Air Products & Chemicals, Inc., No. A-4542-03T3 (N.J. App. Div. May 25, 2006), cert. denied, 188 N.J. 354 (2006)
- Argonaut Partnership L.P. v.Grupo Sidek, S.A. de C.V., 96 Civ. 1967 (MBM), 1996 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 15925 (S.D.N.Y. October 25, 1996), aff’d No. 97-7594, 1998 U.S. App. LEXIS 3232 (2d Cir. February 27, 1998)
- Banque Franco-Hellenique De Commerce International et Maritime, S.A. v. Orestes, 106 F.3d 22 (2d Cir. 1997)
- Amstadt v. U.S. Brass Corp., 919 S.W.2d 644 (Tex. 1996)
- Odfjell ASA v. Celanese AG, 380 F. Supp. 2d 297 (S.D.N.Y. 2005)
- Kardas v. Union Carbide Corp., 22 A.D.3d 640, 802 N.Y.S.2d 509 (N.Y. App. Div. 2d Dep’t 2005)
- Odfjell ASA v. Celanese AG, 04 Civ. 1758 (JSR), 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 729 (S.D.N.Y. Jan. 15, 2005)
- Bass v. Union Carbide Corp., 22 A.D.3d 618, 801 N.Y.S.2d 922 (N.Y. App. Div. 2d Dep’t 2005)
- Kardas v. Union Carbide Corp., 22 A.D.3d 641, 801 N.Y.S.2d 916 (N.Y. App. Div. 2d Dep’t 2005 )
- Odfjell ASA v. Celanese AG, 380 F. Supp. 2d 297 (S.D.N.Y. 2005)
- American Life Ins. Co. v. Parra, Civ. A. No. 98-401 (KAJ), 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 382 (D.Del. Jan. 14, 2004)
- Odfjell ASA v. Celanese AG, 348 F. Supp. 2d 283 (S.D.N.Y. 2004)
- Odfjell ASA v. Celanese AG, 04 Civ. 1758 (JSR), 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 13151 (S.D.N.Y. July 14, 2004)
- Odfjell ASA v. Celanese AG, 328 F. Supp. 2d 505 (S.D.N.Y. 2004)
- American Life Ins. Co. v. Parra, Civ. A. No. 98-401 (KAJ), 2003 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22931 (D.Del. Dec. 22, 2003)
- American Life Ins. Co. v. Parra, Civ. A. No. 98-401 (KAJ), 2003 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 18679 (D.Del. Oct. 17, 2003)
- American Life Ins. Co. v. Parra, 269 F. Supp. 2d 519 (D.Del. 2003)
- Burger v. Union Carbide Corp., 304 A.D.3d 700, 758 N.Y.S.2d 381 (N.Y. App. Div. -- 2d Dep’t 2003)
- American Life Ins. Co. v. Parra, 187 F. Supp. 2d 203 (D.Del. 2002)
- American Life Ins. Co. v. Parra, 63 F. Supp. 2d 480 (D.Del. 1999)
- American Life Ins. Co. v. Parra, 25 F. Supp. 2d 467 (D.Del. 1998)
- Dillon v. Militano, 731 F. Supp 634 (SDNY 1990)
- Hudson River Fishermen’s Association v. Westchester County, 686 F. Supp. 1044 (SDNY 1988)
- Parkview Associates v. City of New York, 71 N.Y.2d 274 (1988)
Yale Law School
Senior Editor, Yale Law Journal
SUNY Stony Brook
(B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1979)
New York, 1982
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1989
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1997
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1998
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 2013
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1985
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1985
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, 1999
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 2008
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2013
Associations / Memberships