David M. Friedman heads Kasowitz's Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy Practice Group. David represents, among others, debtors-in-possession, commercial lenders in complex real estate and industrial bankruptcies and informal restructurings, committees of creditors and equity security holders, hedge funds, high-yield mutual funds and other distressed investors, trustees in bankruptcy and acquirers of distressed businesses. He has published articles and lectured on novel and complex areas of bankruptcy law. Since the inception of its publication, David has been ranked in Chambers USA as one of the "Leading Individuals" in the United States in Bankruptcy/Restructuring. Chambers USA describes Mr. Friedman as “a great talent and a force to be reckoned with,” “a deal-making bankruptcy lawyer but also a very good trial lawyer,” and recognized his “unique combination of skills.” He is also recognized by Chambers Global, which refers to David as "the man you want on your side when you are undermanned and outmaneuvered - he's an extraordinary fighter." He is perennially listed as one of The Best Lawyers in America in New York and as one of the top bankruptcy lawyers in the United States in the K&A Restructuring Register. David has been profiled by Law360 as a Bankruptcy MVP, described as “among the very top tier of bankruptcy lawyers.” In 2007 and 2008, Lawdragon named him one of the 500 leading lawyers in the United States. David has also been recognized in New York Metro Super Lawyers 2006 – 2016 and was the subject of a featured article in the 2011 edition. He has been distinguished as one of Avenue Magazine’s “Legal Elite,” listed as a local and national "litigation star” by Benchmark Litigation 2013-2015, listed as a “leading lawyer” by IFLR 1000 2013, 2014 and 2015, and highlighted by The Legal 500 in 2014 and 2015 in the area of Finance: Corporate Restructuring.
- Counsel for Harbinger Capital Partners in successfully restructuring its $2 billion investment in LightSquared Inc., including related litigation by Harbinger against Dish Network and the FCC.
- Counsel for Borders Group, Inc. and its subsidiaries in their Chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Adelphia Communications Corporation and for the Adelphia Recovery Trust.
- Counsel for Bluebird Partners, L.P. in achieving a $90 million judgment and jury verdict against an indenture trustee.
- Counsel for the Ad Hoc Committee of ULC-1 Bondholders of Calpine Corporation.
- Counsel to controlling shareholder of Extended Stay Hotels in its Chapter 11 reorganization and related litigation.
- Counsel for the Ad Hoc Committee of CLN Noteholders of Enron North America, Inc.
- Counsel for the Chapter 7 Trustee of FoxMeyer Corporation, recovering in excess of $350 million through various litigation.
- Counsel for Donald J. Trump in connection with his investment in Atlantic City casinos.
- Counsel for the Official Creditors Committee of Nextwave Personal Communications, Inc.
- Counsel for Carl C. Icahn in his successful takeover of Marvel Entertainment, Inc. during the latter's Chapter 11 proceedings.
New York University School of Law
Member, New York University Journal of International Law and Politics
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court